I love housewarmings, it's a time to bond with your friends and meet new ones; also another excuse to bake. I've been wanting to try out some fruity cupcake recipes for a while now. So, here was the perfect opportunity to do so.
coconut cupcakes from Martha Stewart
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 pound sweetened flake coconut cream cheese frosting, recipe below
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift the dry ingredients together into a medium mixing bowl, and set the bowl aside. Break eggs into a small bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer running, carefully pour in eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix in the flour mixture and buttermilk by alternating between 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup buttermilk; be sure to start and end with the flour mixture. Add half the coconut, and mix until just incorporated.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Fill each cup with batter. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven, and allow them to cool briefly in the tin before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes. Generously ice them with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
orange cornmeal cupcakes adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar, juice, and extract until smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest; whisk gently to combine.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners; sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/3 cup sugar (topping will be thick). Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes.