I don't eat red meat or poultry often-- maybe a couple times a year. Vegetarian dumplings and wontons are a bit hard to come across. So I like to make my own. Ever since I was little wrapping dumplings and wontons have been an all day family ritual. We would start chopping and kneading dough on a Sunday morning.
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated
- 1/2 cup of vermicelli noodles, rehydrated
- 2 eggs, cooked omelet style
- 1/4 cup, shredded carrots
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- wonton wrappers
- Place all ingredients, except wrappers, into a food processor.
- Place a spoonful of filling onto a wrapper. Moisten all the edges with water. Fold the wrapper in half, pressing the edges to push the filling into the center. Moisten two of the corners and fold the wonton in half to overlap the two corners. Press firmly to seal. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the wontons, making sure there is enough room for them to move about freely. Once the water boils, add a cup of cold water. Let the wontons boil for 5 minutes or until they rise to the top. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon.