Happy Birthday to my good friend Anh, who just turned 30 last week. Not only is she an extraordinary rock climber, and a talented yoga teacher, she is also a great chocolate lover. To celebrate Anh's birthday along with spring I added my little twist of citrus to these chocolate buttermilk cupcakes.
orange chocolate cupcake with orange buttercream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugars until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the chocolate, mixing until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, the orange extract, and the orange zest, beating after each addition until smooth. Divide the batter between the cupcake liners.
- Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 15-18 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool on rack.
- When cupcakes has cooled, ice tops of cupcakes with orange buttercream.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 8 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the juice and the zest. Beat until the smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. Use and store at room temperature.