Summer is so close, I can taste it at the tip of my tongue. I can also taste a lot of birthday cake, it is definitely birthday season. We had another office birthday today and I really wanted to make something special for my coworker. Oreos are one of my favorite childhood snacks. I love twisting the two chocolate cookies apart and dipping them in milk until they are soft. It will always bring me back and make me feel like a kid again. What better feeling to have than this on your birthday.
homemade oreo cookie
cookie ingredients adapted from Retro Desserts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room- temperature, unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees.
- Mix softened butter and sugar together, once thoroughly mixed add in the egg. In a separate bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and salt. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet until dough comes together in a mass.
- Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.
- 6 oz butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- Break up the butter into small chunks.
- Mix in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add evaporated milk.