strawberry ice cream adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs plus
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries, muddled
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the condensed milk and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in the ice cream machine. Add strawberries.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat.