vanilla bean panna cotta with strawberry topping
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds. Bring the mixture just to a simmer over moderate heat. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand until evenly moistened, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover the cream mixture and bring just to a simmer over moderately high heat. Remove from heat, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove the vanilla bean and save for another use. Pour the panna cotta mixture into eight 4-ounce ramekins and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the panna cotta is set but still jiggly, at least 3 hours.
- Use a toothpick to loosen the sides and turn upside down onto a plate to serve.
- I topped it off with the extra strawberry topping from the cheesecake.