brown butter green beans
- Kosher salt
- 2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt the water, add the green beans (Do not overcook, you want the beans to have a crunch), about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook until the milk solids start to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the 1 tsp. salt and season with pepper. Stir in the green beans and walnuts and cook until the beans are warmed through.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately. Serves 10 to 12.