I know, it's 15 days til Christmas and I finally post about the Thanksgiving turkey! I apologize but I've been quite the busy bee and haven't been able to put this together until now. It was our first return back to NYC since our move down south. My little brother, who is not so little anymore, wanted a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Emails went back and forth editing and reediting the menu but what was the staple was the turkey. I was set on using Mom's Roast Turkey recipe from Simply Recipes.
I didn't have the turkey on a rack, just let it sit in it juices. Also, I stuffed it with a chestnut sticky rice mixture, which was heavenly! With the stuffing, I had to add another 30 minutes to the roasting time. After roasting the turkey, I tossed some vegetables in the turkey juices and roasted them for a side dish.
There was a lot to be thankful for this year. I feel so lucky to have such a loving husband and to have gained another wonderful and caring family. Hope everyone had an awesome and fruity Thanksgiving!
chestnut sticky rice stuffing
- 2 cups sticky rice
- 2 cup whole chestnuts
- salt and pepper
- slit each chestnut and boil in water. peel shells from chestnuts
- cook rice with the water used to boil the chestnuts in a rice cooker as recommended by manufacturer
- mix together sticky rice and peeled chestnuts. salt and pepper to taste.
- green beans
- various mushrooms
- cut onions into quarters and cut up any large pieces of mushrooms.
- after removing the turkey from the roasting pan, toss in all the prepared vegetables. there should be enough oil, butter and seasoning left from the turkey to cover the vegetables. spread the vegetables in an even layer across the pan
- place vegetables into preheated oven of 400 degrees.
- roast for 10 minutes. stir the vegetables and roast for another 10 minutes. repeat one more time.
- add salt and pepper if not seasoned enough