My friend, Patty, raved about these doughnut muffins after she made them a few weeks ago. She first heard about these doughnut muffins from a local bakery outside San Francisco, Downtown Bakery & Creamery. Of course like a recipe hoard, I asked her to send it over. I got it and filed it away but it was not forgotten.
I love my coworkers! They all take turns bringing in breakfast once in a while and two of the top choices are doughnuts and muffins. So its about my turn to bring in something, so I decided to make the two office favorites with one recipe. I searched through my piles and piles of collected recipes and pulled out the one for sugar doughnut muffins!
sugar doughnut muffins
from downtown bakery & creamery
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2/3 milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F. place rack in the middle of the oven. generously grease and flour muffin tins. also grease the surface the muffin cups to prevent the muffins tops from sticking to the pan.
- using a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together until mixture is light and fluffy. beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated into the batter; set aside.
- in a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; set aside. in another bowl, combine the milk and buttermilk; set aside.
- alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture into the egg batter, starting and ending with flour mixture. mix until all the ingredients are fully combined and batter is smooth. don't over mix.
- scoop enough batter into each muffin tin so that the batter is even with the rim of the cup.
- bake 30 to 35 minutes until the muffins are firm to the touch. remove from the oven and let cool just enough to be able to handle.
- in a small bowl, stir together cinnamon and sugar.
- roll muffin into the butter and then roll around in sugar mixture until fully covered.