chocolate cut out cookies
adapted from smitten kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup lightly unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.