What is my fix for a bad day? Baking! This past Wednesday was completely off for me; I must have woken up on the wrong side of bed. Anyways, I had a craving for cheese biscuits. These were so easy to make.
cheddar cheese biscuits
adapted from: food and whine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 6-7 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Add the cubed butter. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut butter into flour until it is coarse, pea-sized.
- Add oil, grated cheddar cheese and the milk. Stir till well combined and holds together.
- Make sure to keep adding milk a bit at a time, just until the dough is moistened and you can no longer see any raw flour.
- Drop approximately 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet or a Silpat using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes in a preheated oven.
- While biscuits are baking, melt 3 tablespoons butter is a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the parsley.
- When biscuits come out of the oven, use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Do this a few times – it’s fun to watch all the butter getting absorbed into the biscuit! Use up all of the butter. Serve warm.