chocolate dropped cookie
adapted from magnolia's bakery cookbook
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- In another large bowl cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth; about 3 minutes.
- To the butter mixture, add the eggs and mix well. Next add the milk and vanilla extract. Blend for another minute.
- Stir in the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Add the pecans. Form balls of dough with teaspoons, drop the cookies on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Leave a few inches between each cookie as they will need room to expand.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, cool cookies on the sheet. Remove the cookies after 1 minute and cool on wire rack.
The second cookie I made was Magnolia Bakery's oatmeal raisin cookie with my own little twist. Instead of raisins, I used dried cherries.
oatmeal raisin almond cookies
adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks, softened
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 finely chopped almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Put aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture in batches, beating until well combined.
- Add in the oats, again beating well, and then add the cherries and almonds.
- Chill the mixture for around 30 minutes.
- When chilled, drop by rounded teaspoon-full onto an un-greased cookie sheet, leaving enough room for the cookies to spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Allow to sit on the cookie sheet for a minute before moving onto a cooling rack.