Once upon a time, when I was still living in New York, my friend Jen stayed with me for a bit while after returning from residing in Australia. I had made her some sweet potato pie on a whim after having found some leftover baked sweet potatoes in my fridge. To this day, I can't for the life of me remember the recipe and to this day, she still reminisces about this pie. So, I went on a quest to recreate this oh-so-heavenly sweet potato pie.
sweet potato pie
- flaky pie crust, recipe here
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- bake sweet potato for 45-60 min at 350 degrees F.
- while the sweet potato is baking, prepare pie crust and place in 9" pie pan, set aside.
- break apart sweet potato in a bowl. add butter, and mix well with mixer. stir in sugar,cream , eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- pour filling into an unbaked pie crust
- bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools