chocolate beet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup beet pulp
- 1-1/3 cups half and half, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake pans with liner, set aside.
- Sift flours, salt, and baking soda into the bowl, set aside.
In a bowl of a standing mixer, combine butter and brown sugar. Mix to combine.
On a low setting, add one egg at a time, mix after each egg. Add in vanilla, melted chocolate, beet pulp and half and half. Mix to combine.
- Combine dry mixture to the wet mixture. Increase mixer speed to incorporate.
- Scoop into cupcake cups about 2/3s full and bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting, using a standing mixer or hand mixer combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add in sugar one cup at a time.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, frost each cupcake with the cream cheese frosting.