- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- confectioner's sugar for serving
- preheat an oven to 350 degree F. grease bouchon silicon baking mold with shortening, set on baking sheet.
- put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and microwave until melted, about 1-1/2 minutes, stirring once. alternatively, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and chocolate and heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. let cool for 10 minutes.
- in a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined. set aside.
- in another bowl, whisk together the sugar, whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla until well combined. add the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. whisk in the flour mixture until combined.
- scoop 2 tbsp of batter into each well of the mold. transfer the mold, still on the baking sheet, to the oven and bake until the tops of the chocolate corks are shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
- transfer the mold to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. carefully invert the mold to remove the chocolate corks and turn them right-side up on the rack. let cool on the rack for at least 30 minutes before serving. dust with confectioners' sugar. serve warm or at room temperature. makes 12 chocolate bouchons.