After some snickerdoodles and orange spritz, I wanted something plain and simple. These buttery vanilla cookies are exactly what I was looking for. These are best right out of the oven, I think I ate a dozen of them.
adapted from apple pie, patis & pate
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites from large eggs
- preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- mix together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract until smooth in an electric mixer.
- gently fold in half of the flour. Then slowly mix in the egg whites followed by the rest of the flour. Continue mixing until thoroughly incorporated.
- put the cookie dough in a pastry bag fitted with a round pasty tip (about 1/4" inch opening). Pipe the dough onto cookie sheets in 1-1/2 inch lengths. Space the piped dough at least 1-1/2 inches apart to allow for spread.
- bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the edges are lightly brown.