Last month, my husband and I hosted a baby shower for my brother-in-law & sister-in-law. For those who know me, they know that I live to entertain. I was super excited to start planning. The parents-to-be were doing an zoo theme in their nursery, so they requested a similar theme for the shower. We got some cute baby animal invitations from Gartner Studios. So cute and easy to use. I also made my first diaper cake, which was absolutely so much fun. As for food, we decided on an afternoon tea eats after having a conversation with my sister-in-law about how much she missed Alice's Tea Cup in New York City. It just so happened that I received their cookbook last Christmas from my sweet sweet cousin. The shower menu consisted of a couple of tea sandwiches and scones from the book. But my favorite was the berry berry cupcakes!
berry berry cupcakes
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3-ounce) box raspberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 15-ounce frozen blueberries in syrup, thawed and pureed (packages usually come in 16 oz, use 15 oz for the cake and 1oz for the frosting)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- Blueberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1-ounce frozen blueberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups confectioners' sugar (or more if you prefer the frosting to be more sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake liners in pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed blueberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared liners, and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the blueberry puree and the vanilla extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes.