My husband and I have been obsessed with the two Gordon Ramsay cooking shows, Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen. This past week on the show Masterchef, some of the contestants had to make a molten chocolate lava cake. I then realized that I have never made this dessert which is a combination of a chocolate cake and a souffle. It's actually quite simple, the recipe I used only has 6 ingredients and it took no more than 30 minutes to make. Unfortunately, I slightly overbaked my cakes and the centers did not ooze out like lava but the cake was still delicious. With this I used unsweetened chocolate and the cake is very "dark." I would recommend using semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer a sweeter dessert.
molten chocolate lava cake
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 3 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Coat 2 ramekins with oil and place on a cookie sheet.
- Microwave chocolate and butter in a large bowl on high for 1 minute until the butter is melted. The chocolate won’t be melted and that is ok. Whisk the butter with the chocolate until it melts.
- Stir in the icing sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in the egg and egg yolk.
- Stir in the flour.
- Divide the batter between the ramekins.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes until the sides are firm and the centre if soft. Let stand one minute.
- Invert cakes on dishes and top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream, etc.