So, all of us have heard the saying: "don't judge a book by its cover." I learned that lesson today. I have to admit I completely undervalued this cookie when I brought it to the Alabama National Fair's baking contest this morning. The intention was to use these to make a sandwich cookie but I ran out of time and submitted them as is with the presumption that it was not a winner. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Alabama National Fair's first place winner for the cookie baking competition.
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- cream together butter and sugar with a mixer. add the egg white gradually and then mix in the extracts.
- add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- place batter in a piping bag with a small (1/4 inch) plain tip. pipe 1/2" rounds onto ungreased cookie sheet, spacing them 2" apart as they will spread.
- bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. cool in the pan.