Yes, I joined the Instant Pot bandwagon. It's all the rage right now, but it is for a reason. It's a miracle worker, I swear. It use to take me 16 hours to make this ridiculously amazing Kahlua Pig with my slow cooker, and now 90 minutes under pressure with the Instant Pot.
After following a few recipes for the past couple weeks, I'm starting to feel comfortable with this new appliance. This is my first try at something without a recipe. And I have to say, it's a keeper. After removing the short ribs, I threw in some potatoes in the remaining liquids and cooked it under pressure for 6 minutes. 6 minutes, people! Have you ever cooked potatoes in such a short amount of time? It was delicious and flavorful. Needless to say, I have already given my slow cooker away.
instant pot: Chinese braised short ribs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 lbs bone-in short ribs
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1" dices
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 3 green onions
- 3 tomatoes, cut into 1" dices
- 8 garlic cloves. peeled
- 2 anise star
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (I did a combination of 2 parts light and 1 part dark)
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
- press the 'saute' button on the instant pot and add in the oil. when the oil is hot, place a few pieces of short ribs into the pot and cook all sides until brown. remove from pot and repeat with remaining short ribs. set the short ribs aside.
- add in onions and cook until transparent. turn off the instant pot and add in the cooking wine. deglaze the pot by scraping all the bits from the bottom.
- add in the green onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and the short ribs. try to keep the ribs in a single, even layer.
- in a bowl or measuring cup, mix together soy sauce brown sugar and water. pour into the pot.
- cover and lock the lid. on the instant pot, press 'manual' and adjust the time to 35 minutes under high pressure.
- when the braise is finished cooking, press "keep warm/cancel" to do a slow pressure release.
- once the cooker is depressurized, transfer the short ribs into a bowl and set aside.
- add the potatoes into the remaining liquids.
- cover and lock the lid again. set the instant pot to cook under high pressure for 6 minutes. when the potatoes are done, use the quick release valve on the lid.